Careers at the sdsu police department
As a member of the San Diego State University Police Department, you will find the work interesting, challenging and rewarding. The department provides numerous opportunities for career development including a wide variety of special positions. Because of the unique nature of academic policing and the environment in which SDSU police officers work, there are many opportunities to have specialized duties. New and creative approaches to law enforcement are always encouraged.
- We are committed to providing exceptional policing services to SDSU’s over 42,000 diverse students, faculty, and staff across our institution and various locations. With venues such as the Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre, Viejas Arena, Transit Center, and on-site retail locations, we serve a multitude of individuals from the greater San Diego community and beyond.
- We are expanding our footprint. As the oldest higher education institution in San Diego with many campus and program locations around the globe and online, we continue to grow and expand our reach and impact. In August 2020, SDSU broke ground on SDSU Mission Valley, a transit-oriented site, which features a 35,000-capacity stadium and will include an Innovation District, hotel, housing, restaurants, retail, parks and other public open spaces.
- We are esteemed for our approach to community policing and developing well-rounded police officers who strive to be part of the campus community, not just a response to it. We pride ourselves on the strength of our working relationships with our community while building trust and legitimacy through outreach programs and initiatives.
- We value our employees and understand that quality of life makes a difference in performance. Our goal is to build future law enforcement leaders through empowerment and mentorship while prioritizing family and work-life balance.
- We understand the importance of department culture as a byproduct of our collective values and policing approach. Culture manifests itself in how we operate as a team and interact with our community to prevent and solve problems.
San Diego State University offers a rich benefits package that constitutes a substantial portion of employee compensation. Benefits eligibility is based on position and employment status.
- Health Benefits
- Retiree Health Benefits
- Time Off Benefits
- Tuition Reduction and Fee Waiver Program
- Public Sector Loan Fogiveness
- Military Service Credit
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Voluntary Benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Work/Life Resources