about the position
The Communications Center is the hub and heart of the San Diego State University Police Department, where POST certified dispatchers receive emergency and non-emergency calls. The center is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
A sample of dispatcher duties include:
- Handle 9-1-1 emergency and non-emergency calls
- Use a radio to dispatch patrol officers, parking officers, and community service officers
- Monitor, inquire, and respond to all campus access control and fire alarms
- Access, inquire, and update several law enforcement database systems
- Dispatch during officer-initiated activity
- Utilize CCTV
Eligible dispatcher candidates must be United States citizens or permanent resident aliens who have applied for U.S. citizenship. You must have a high school diploma or G.E.D. and a valid California driver’s license
All applicants must pass a panel interview, a written exam, comprehensive physical exam including drug testing, a psychological evaluation, and a thorough background investigation.