Community Service Officers
Community Service Officer (CSO) Program
The University Police Department facilitates the academic process by providing a safe and secure environment in which to pursue academic excellence. CSOs are SDSU students, in good academic standing, who work for the police department as civilian employees. CSOs assist the campus community and provide an extra set of "eyes and ears" for the police department. By fulfilling these duties we believe that we have established one of the most successful and professional student assistant programs in the country.
Law Enforcement CSO Training Program
The University Police Department offers currently employed Community Service Officers the opportunity to partake in the law enforcement-training program. The CSOs who wish to take advantage of this opportunity learn about law enforcement first-hand. Students are exposed to a variety of learning opportunities. They attend lectures where they learn about criminal law and procedures from the penal and vehicle codes, case law and court practices, drug violations and addiction, prisoner processing and searches, police tactics and other law enforcement procedures. The students tour the San Diego County Jail, crime lab, and partake in scenario exercises and training. The CSOs who attend this training then ride with patrol officers and are able to use what they learn through the program and assist police officers in the field. The goal of the program is to ready those students interested in careers in law enforcement through practical learning exercises and experiences.
Download CSO Application
- Conduct regular inspections of all university property, particularly parking areas, grounds and buildings
- Enforce parking and permit regulations
- Lock/unlock university buildings/facilities
- Observe and report suspicious activity, hazardous conditions and/or criminal violations
- Provide security services for campus organizations and/or functions
- Give directions and other types of aid to the campus community
- Staff the Parking Information Kiosk
- Perform enforcement, administrative, security and/or investigative functions as directed
- Bike patrol
Shawn Brown, Parking Operations Manager