The California Education Code states the trustees may establish rules and regulations for the government and maintenance of the buildings and grounds of the California State University (CEC 89031).
San Diego State University has enacted “Regulations for Use of San Diego State University Buildings and Grounds.” The regulations described below are therefore subject to a citation should a campus community member be found in violation of that regulation.
Section 16 – Bicycles, Skateboards & Scooters
- 16.1 Bicycles may only be operated on streets and designated bike paths. In other
locations, bicyclists shall walk their bicycles.
- 16.1.1 All bicycles on campus shall peroperly display a valid SDSU bicycle license issued by University Police. Unregistered bicyles may be impounded.
- 16.1.2 Bicycles shall be parked only in designated stands and areas. Bicycles attached to railings or ohter fixtures not designated for bicycle parking are subject to removal and impound.
- 16.2 Skateboards and scooters may only be operated on designated bike paths, Aztec Circle Drive, Hilltop Way, Scripps Terrace and Avenue of Arts. In other locations, skateboards must be walked.
- 16.3 Hover boards are not permitted in residence halls and may not be operated in unviersity buildings.
- 16.4 In no case shall bicycles, skateboards, roller skates, or similar personal wheeled conveyances be permitted, operated, parked or locked on ramps for disabled access. Indivdiuals shall walk their bicycyles, skateboards, or similar wheeled conveyance on any disabled access ramp.
- 16.5 Pedestrians shall have the right of way at all times.
- 16.5.2 Skateboards and scooters are expected to yield to all pedestrians, bicycles, wheelchairs and motorized vehicles.
More Information of SDSU Active Transportation Policy
Please note: Skateboarding on city streets is a misdemeanor and you are required to ride your skateboards on sidewalks once you leave campus. City streets directly adjacent to campus are:
- Campanile Drive
- Canyon Crest
- Hardy Avenue
- Lindo Paseo
- College Avenue
- 55th Street
- Remington Road
Section 25 – Smoking and Tobacco Products
- 25.1 SDSU is completely smoke-free.
- 25.3 Smoking is defined as inhaling, exhaling, burning or carrying a lighted or vapor-producing tobacco product. Tobacco is defined as all tobacco-derived or containing products, including but not limited to cigarettes (clove, bidis, kreteks), electronic cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos, hookah smoked products or oral tobacco (spit and spitless, smokeless, chew or snuff).
More Information of SDSU Smoke Free Policy
Those found in violation and issued a citation have the ability to request an appeal for the citation within 21 days of the issuance of the violation. All appeals are submitted electronically.
If you wish to appeal, you are required to pay the fine prior to appealing the citation. Should the citation be dismissed, a refund will be processed. Any appeals submitted prior to payment will be denied.